Friday, September 30, 2022
HomeCovid-19UK Approves Pfizer Bivalent Covid Vaccine Ahead of Booster Drive

UK Approves Pfizer Bivalent Covid Vaccine Ahead of Booster Drive

The UK’s drug regulator said Saturday it had approved an updated Covid-19 jab by Pfizer/BioNTEch targeting the original virus and a subvariant ahead of an autumn booster drive.

https://sway.office.com/s/NWqZW4efg9FkMwPL/embed

https://sway.office.com/s/Ee2NNM1HsXnjWMyj/embed

https://sway.office.com/s/hGjIynjkeob6jBVO/embed

The so-called “bivalent” jabs work for both the original virus that emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in 2019 and the BA.1 subvariant of Omicron.

The UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) approved the Pfizer jab as a booster for those aged 12 and over after a “careful review of the evidence”.

https://sway.office.com/s/2WGWhONhf8YP9WNY/embed

https://sway.office.com/s/A0VTPSFl8ZyImqAR/embed

https://sway.office.com/s/knWqFMFXOEwJAEb9/embed

The UK regulator last month okayed a similar bivalent vaccine by Moderna, becoming the first country to do so.
Home » News » World » UK Approves Pfizer Bivalent Covid Vaccine Ahead of Booster Drive
1-MIN READ
UK Approves Pfizer Bivalent Covid Vaccine Ahead of Booster Drive

AFP

Last Updated: September 03, 2022, 18:48 IST

London
The UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) approved the Pfizer jab as a booster for those aged 12 and over after a careful review of the evidence. (File photo/Reuters)

https://sway.office.com/s/eYdNgc3mnyCauILx/embed

https://sway.office.com/s/xci0V7A8zMEwwPTr/embed

https://sway.office.com/s/jWxN9xPVsnrsHZKQ/embed

The UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) approved the Pfizer jab as a booster for those aged 12 and over after a careful review of the evidence. (File photo/Reuters)
The so-called “bivalent” jabs work for both the original virus that emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in 2019 and the BA.1 subvariant of Omicron

 

The UK’s drug regulator said Saturday it had approved an updated Covid-19 jab by Pfizer/BioNTEch targeting the original virus and a subvariant ahead of an autumn booster drive.

The so-called “bivalent” jabs work for both the original virus that emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in 2019 and the BA.1 subvariant of Omicron.

The UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) approved the Pfizer jab as a booster for those aged 12 and over after a “careful review of the evidence”.

The UK regulator last month okayed a similar bivalent vaccine by Moderna, becoming the first country to do so.
RELATED NEWS

Barbara Ehrenreich: Journalist’s Pioneering Work Bolstered Social Justice, Movement for Higher Wages in US | Life in Pics

Nine Migrants Drown in US-Mexico Border Crossing Attempt

MHRA chief executive June Raine said: “I am pleased to announce that we now have a second approved vaccine for the UK Autumn booster programme.”

The National Health Service in England and Scotland will begin a fresh booster rollout on Monday, starting with care home residents and eventually inviting everyone over 50.
The other UK regions of Wales and Northern Ireland are also launching similar campaigns.

The BBC reported Saturday that the Moderna bivalent shot would be offered first, but added that the UK did not have enough supplies to cover everyone over 50.

The European Union and the United States have recently authorised the updated version of the Pfizer vaccine and Moderna vaccines.

Al-Qaeda’s Yemen branch released a video on Saturday showing a United Nations worker who was abducted in the war-torn country more than six months ago, the SITE Intelligence Group reported.

Five UN staff members were kidnapped in Yemen’s southern province of Abyan in February while returning to the port city of Aden “after having completed a field mission,” UN spokesperson Eri Kaneko told AFP at the time.

In Saturday’s video message, apparently recorded on August 9, Akam Sofyol Anam, identified by SITE as Bangladeshi, urges “the UN, the international community, the humanitarian organisations, to please come forward… and meet the demands of my captors”, without outlining the demands.

He said he was facing “serious health trouble”, including heart problems, and needed “immediate medical support and hospitalisation”, according to SITE, which monitors extremist activity.

Anam, who SITE identified as the “director of the United Nations Office of Security and Safety in Yemen”, said he and four colleagues were kidnapped on February 11.
emen has been gripped by conflict since the Iran-backed Huthi rebels took control of the capital Sanaa in 2014, triggering a Saudi-led military intervention in support of the beleaguered government the following year.

Hundreds of thousands have died, directly from fighting as well as indirectly, and millions have been displaced in what the UN has called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

Aden became the base of Yemen’s internationally recognised government after the Huthis ousted it from the capital Sanaa in 2014.

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) and militants loyal to the Islamic State group have thrived in the chaos.

“The United Nations is in close contact with the authorities to secure their release,” its spokesperson had said after the workers’ abduction in February.

Formed in a merger of Al-Qaeda’s Yemen and Saudi branches, AQAP has carried out attacks on both rebel and government targets in Yemen as well as foreigners.

It has also been accused of plotting attacks beyond the Middle East and its leaders have been targeted by a US drone war for more than two decades, although the number of strikes has dropped off in recent years.

Yemen’s warring parties have been observing a ceasefire since April, bringing a drastic reduction in hostilities although small-scale fighting has continued.
NASA on Saturday scrapped a second attempt to get its new 30-story rocket off the ground and send its uncrewed test capsule toward the Moon after engineers detected a fuel leak.

With millions around the globe and hundreds of thousands on nearby beaches waiting for the historic launch of the massive Space Launch System (SLS), a leak near the base of the rocket was found as ultra-cold liquid hydrogen was being pumped in.

“The launch director waived off today’s Artemis I launch,” NASA said in a statement. “Multiple troubleshooting efforts to address the area of the leak… did not fix the issue.”

Though the area around the launch site was closed to the public, an estimated 400,000 people had gathered nearby to see — and hear — the most powerful vehicle that NASA has ever launched climb into space.

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular